Britain's Uber Judgment

Home Forums Off Topic Britain's Uber Judgment

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  mary guercio 2 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

EJ

In the news yesterday: Britain’s courts have ruled that Uber’s drivers are in fact employees rather than contractors, and so have all the rights that employees have, including statutory sick pay, minimum incomes, and limitations on making employees pay for their equipment. (That last one may potentially be a biggie, given the expense of cars.)

Naturally, Uber will be appealing this, but the commentary is that they’re unlikely to win. Even more interestingly, this sets a precedent that could make things far more difficult for other companies hoping to profit off the Uber model of employment. A lot of shiny libertarian dreams may just have been ground into the dust.

I’m not an economist, but I know that some people here are. What are your thoughts? I’m told that Britain and the US have similar legal systems (you kids and your crazy non-code law) so is this likely to have any effect there?

Creigh Gordon

I’m not an economist although I act like one on certain blogs. I’m also a former auto mechanic who had to supply my own work tools as a condition of employment. I think the bigger issue with Uber’s employee/contractor distinction might end up being in the area of who is responsible for driver actions. Could Uber be sued if a passenger is injured in an accident, for example.

mary guercio

I have emailed our son who was a passenger in a Uber vehicle that was hit by another vehicle a few weeks ago….He had indicated his attorneys were handling the matter so he likely would be able to enlighten us on this issue. I assume the other vehicle would be primary, but, what if the other vehicle were not insured? Would the default be Uber?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by  mary guercio.

mary guercio

Apparently, a passenger riding in a Uber vehicle can bring charges against: the driver of the car that caused the accident; the Uber driver, the Uber driver’s LIMO Company; Uber itself.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.