Chris, can you do an article on the WTO?

Home Forums Off Topic Chris, can you do an article on the WTO?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Ladd 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Dinsdale Pirannha
    Participant

Chris, given you have far superior research and writing skills to me, can you do an article of the ramifications if the WTO appellate body ceases to work? From what I understand, the appellate body needs 7 individual at maximum. Currently there are 4 people, and one has their term end Sept 30th. From what I can gather, you-know-who is the one who gets to appoint new members (not sure why that is). He is of course, dragging his feet, given his antipathy for the WTO. When the member from Mauritius’ term ends Sept 30th, the appellate body falls to 3, and according to its internal rules, can no longer function.

What are the ramifications? Going further, what are the odds that the madman pulls the U.S. out of the WTO, NATO, let alone the UN?

Chris Ladd
    Keymaster

It’s one of those things, like the gutting of EPA regulations, that hardly matters right now. Yes, it’s catastrophic, but there isn’t anything anyone can do about it. Until the barbarians have been removed, they’re gonna break stuff. It’s unhealthy to focus on individual elements of damage during the outbreak.

We’ll spend the rest of our lives building a new order in place of what they’ve destroyed. That sucks, but it also has the potential to be exhilarating.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.