Conseravtive Opinion Columnists

Home Forums Off Topic Conseravtive Opinion Columnists

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Creigh Gordon 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

David J Staszak
    Participant

I am in a bit of a fight with my local paper. They carry Cal Thomas, Pat Buchanan and George Will as their “conservative” columnists. I think these guys are either over the hill (Will) or very close to being right wingnuts (Thomas and Buchanan). Are there any younger, less dogmatic and insightful columnists that I can recommend that they consider as alternatives? The names that come to my mind are people like Andrew Sullivan, David Frum, David Brooks. But I am not sure if they are available or affordable for small town paper. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Hope I didn’t offend anyone by my disdain for their current choices.

Creigh Gordon

I’m not sure why the media chases balance or bipartisanship for its own sake. I’m looking for intellectual honesty, and for those who hold others to a standard of intellectual honesty. Of the names you mention, David Frum seems to get that. There’s a few at The American Conservative who are often willing to criticize their own side. That’s intellectual honesty, to be sure. But I guess I’d also like more, someone who could argue compellingly for their side. That’s harder to find.

Daniel Farina
    Participant

Pat Buchanan is a straight up fascist. I mean this in in a very technical sense. They may as well find a Stalinoid to write to balance things out.

EJ

I hear Milo Yiannopoulos may be affordable nowadays, seeing as his gravy train as been derailed. He’s been spotted doing dietary-supplement adverts on Alex Jones’s channel.

I loathe Yiannopoulos and everything he stands for, but he may arguably be a better voice of where conservatism is nowadays than Pat Buchanan.

Creigh Gordon

Maybe your problem is that younger, less dogmatic, insightful, and conservative are mutually exclusive terms….

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.