Damage control

Home Forums Off Topic Damage control

This topic contains 25 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  hoonteo 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Flypusher

We’re still hurting, but I’m going to start this discussion and please join in when you are ready. We’re going to be taking some steps back in the next few years. If the GOP keeps its promises, millions will lose health coverage. Tax cuts for the rich and protectionism are not bringing blue collar jobs back. I see things getting worse between non-white communities and law enforcement. There will be no progress on immigration or climate issues. That’s just the tip of the iceberg the ship of state crashed into. Our best bet for the next few years is to find causes to support on the local level that help mitigate these loses. So please tell us of any good volunteer work you do and any worthy organizations that deserve support.

GOTV work for 2018 is a given.

Vincent Valk
    Participant

Hey just leaving this here to say thanks for the reply on my question. I’ll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Creigh Gordon

Push infrastructure spending. Trump did promise that. Republicans traditionally try to stimulate the economy the old fashioned way (deficit spending) and that will be their approach this time. Deficit financed tax cuts for rich people aren’t very effective because they don’t result in spending on new production. Deficit spending on the military works better, but doesn’t yield the primary benefits that improved infrastructure does.

Ryan Ashfyre

And Trump’s promises are to be believed…?

Flypusher

I take any words that come out of Trump’s mouth with a ton of salt, but he will have the opportunity to make good on that promise. I’m inclined to agree with Bernie here- if they are proposing fixing things like roads, bridges, dams, obsolete water mains, etc., there ought to be some bipartisan cooperation. That stuff needs to get done. But building a border wall or more tax cuts for the rich??? Total opposition.

Creigh Gordon

This from The Bern:

“Donald Trump tapped into the anger of a declining middle class that is sick and tired of establishment economics, establishment politics and the establishment media. People are tired of working longer hours for lower wages, of seeing decent paying jobs go to China and other low-wage countries, of billionaires not paying any federal income taxes and of not being able to afford a college education for their kids – all while the very rich become much richer.

To the degree that Mr. Trump is serious about pursuing policies that improve the lives of working families in this country, I and other progressives are prepared to work with him. To the degree that he pursues racist, sexist, xenophobic and anti-environment policies, we will vigorously oppose him.”

mary guercio

Trump just appointed the ultimate establishment figure as his chief of staff: Reince Priebus. Of course in looking at Trump’s appointments to his advisory committee, I note all three of his children will serve while also operating his “not so blind” trust – the family business.

Voters bought the message and they own it. All of us will live with it, however. Just today Trump stated he was going to deport millions of illegals immediately. (BTW, Obama has been doing that for years and has received much criticism from the hispanic community.) Paul Ryan came right back and said no. Who is really going to run the show?

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/305774-trump-vows-to-deport-millions-of-criminal-undocumented

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  mary guercio.

Griff

It’s likely not much use. Our only chance the stop white nationalism for the foreseeable future is to unwind the force identity politics plays in our current elections and, as far as the left spectrum currently goes, that’s probably not going to happen. The radical left will be energized and noisy after Trump’s election destabilizes our entire political spectrum, and their numbers will swell every time he opens his mouth or passes an insane policy, all of which will intensify our return to overt tribalism. They will likely help destroy any chance of creating a broad working class or otherwise cross racial alliance that could stop Trump and will likely cement his re-election in 2020. Even if you beat them in the primaries the political damage the “fuck white people” radicals will do, even if mostly limited to leftist subcultures and social media, will have been done.

The stiggit crowd has essentially given the postmodernist left the key to mainstream politics after they’ve stayed at the relative fringes of our society for so long. They don’t have the numbers to win, but they will empower white nationalism during their inevitable fall, and likely add additional fuel to the political violence that will become semi-normal as our sociopath in chief runs our country into the ground.

Of course my predictions mean nothing, and should be considered meaningless after being so wrong on this election, if they were ever meaningful to begin with. I don’t know why you’re reading this to be honest.

But, anyways, the Dems only hope is to find a way to keep the radical left from destroying them and cementing ethnic tribalism. And they won’t, because as the Alt-Right has shown us parties can’t control random extremists on social media. Traditional ways to limit their audience can’t be used.

If Trump loses power it’s because he will have caused a backlash without expanding or energizing his audience. It’s mostly in our Dear Leader’s hands now whether Dems win or not, all the Dems can do is try to give Sanders style pluralistic working class politics a try and hope the bizarro world Alt-Right doesn’t end them.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  Griff.

Flypusher

“Even if you beat them in the primaries the political damage the “fuck white people” radicals will do, even if mostly limited to leftist subcultures and social media, will have been done.”

Yeah, we saw a bit of that here, but I’m inclined to cut people a bit more slack for the immediate future, because this was so gut-wrenching. I hope VL comes back the contribute here once everyone gets over the shock. Everyone has to right to choose who they will associate with, but if you are feeling embattled, blowing off people who sympathize with your concerns is not the best strategy. There needs to be a coalition of everyone, regardless of race, who is concerned about racial disparities, be they economic, environmental, or in the criminal justice system.

Flypusher

For many of us, there is no effective representation at the Federal level. The GOP majorities aren’t going to do what we want about issues like climate change or criminal justice reform. Fortunately state and local governments can be used. For example CA can lead with regard to reducing emissions. It’s the most populous state, and any standards it sets can reverberate to other states. Harris Co voted in Dems in positions like Dustrict Attourney and Co Sherriff.

Bobo Amerigo

Yes, many in Texas are not represented at the federal or state level, including me. But I didn’t go out and vote for any damn white nationalists.

mary guercio

George Soros this year invested funds in unusual races – District Attorneys (Ogg) in big cities…judges. He was focused on the criminal justice process. Guess he figured either Clinton had the presidency or wouldn’t, but he could make more of an impact in very specific, local elections. I haven’t seen a breakout of races he funded for winners but will be looking for it. Happy someone on the left won something.

Flypusher

New Harris Co DA Kim Ogg’s plans for reform:

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/what-you-can-expect-to-see-under-kim-ogg-as-harris-county-district-attorney-8935097

More power to her. Given the size of Harris Co, if she can make reform stick, it will have ripple effects. Amen to diverting resources from the failed war on drugs to focusing on the lowlifes who do the most harm.

Bobo Amerigo

Ogg was very impressive in the interviews I saw/heard. She wasn’t asked about it in those interviews, but her website says she will re-constitute the small unit (Anderson killed that unit when she came in) that focused on investigation and prosecution of animal cruelty crimes.

http://www.kimogg.com/animal_welfare_prosecution

mary guercio

I hardly know where to start with damage control. First, I have zero trust in the Republican Party to understand or compromise on issues that are of great importance – to me, but more important, to our nation and world. I am speaking of military restraint – both in deployment and in budgeting. In protecting the needs of the poor, disabled, sick, elderly, minorities, sexually different, women. Their track record tells me all I need to know about what an “unchecked” Republican campaign will be. Now there will be no impediment to full implementation of the Republican agenda – as Paul Ryan indicated in his WaPo remarks about changes to Medicare and Medicaid. Let me be clear: I understand there are cost efficiencies that will be needed in these areas and others, but it is the “how” that is critical. I feel certain if Ryan as the budget guru for the Repubs had honestly talked about the specifics of their “Better Way Blueprint” for addressing areas of great interest to millions – medicare/medicaid/social security reform – there may have been a different outcome to this election. Shame on all who didn’t do their own research and are so poorly informed.

Regardless, here we are, and it does no good to contemplate what could have been or might be coming. If the same people who either voted for the Republican agenda or didn’t vote at all are unwilling to hold the party in power accountable before the election, why would we think they would change now? Sen. E. Warren vows to work with Republicans on programs that benefit Americans and fight like hell against those which do harm. Contrast her approach (which I have heard other Dem lawmakers state as well) with how McConnell and Boehner and the rest of the GOP treated Pres. Obama when he received an overwhelming mandate. The difference is that Democrats have always put the people’s needs first; Republicans have always put the privileged people’s needs first. Count on this as a template for their agenda going forward.

I’m worried about practical impacts to people’s lives. I’m worried about the people who will be chosen to represent Trump’s agenda – a man whose rhetoric threatens basic liberties and equality. I am not moving to Canada, but neither do I have the luxury of many of the alternatives that wealth affords. Like millions of Americans, I will have to accept the results of the election and the changes that will follow. America will not be a kinder, better place – it will be a different place. All any of us can do is continue to live the best we can with the changes that come. As a law abiding but vigilant citizen, I promise to continue to study, observe, and protest as needed. My party, the Democratic Party has some work to do and I will both help them succeed as best I can and hold them accountable. Just as I will hold Donald Trump and the Republican Party accountable.

My greatest fear is not Donald Trump – It is unchecked power. I have always felt that divided government was the best protection for democracy. I still believe that but that is not what the election established.

mary guercio

It is instructive to read about CA’s first election experiment with the top two voting method. There have been some surprises.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/11/2016-california-senate-harris-sanchez-jungle-open-primary-reform-214429

mary guercio

Of note is the success of Maine’s ballot initiative that established ranked voting….IOW, you can vote for #1,2.3 choices…idea is to avoid run offs and give people broader choices than the two major parties. Will be interesting to watch in action.

EJ

Extremely relevant.

I have lived in autocracies most of my life, and have spent much of my career writing about Vladimir Putin’s Russia. I have learned a few rules for surviving in an autocracy and salvaging your sanity and self-respect. It might be worth considering them now:

Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says. Whenever you find yourself thinking, or hear others claiming, that he is exaggerating, that is our innate tendency to reach for a rationalization. This will happen often: humans seem to have evolved to practice denial when confronted publicly with the unacceptable.

mary guercio

Trump is president-elect; Republicans have majority control of all branches of government. No matter what is said, this is fact. Let us hope Trump learns how to curb his personal excesses of mouth and mind. Was there a deeper message EJ?

mary guercio

Does this admonition hearken back to your warning a few posts ago about the increased activity of the alt-right that you were seeing?

Flypusher

For those interested in police body cams, there is grant $ (at least for now) available for local PDs. From a conversation on Dr. David Brin’s blog:

Flypusher: “Does your body cam project have any room for any more people who want to get involved?”

YES!
    (1) First off, find out if your local police departments even applied for the federal grants, which started in 2015 and expanded in 2016. These were $20 mill DoJ grants (as in, the total award was about $20 mill – not an award of $20 mill to each department). The funds in 2016 were awarded in 33 states – about the same as in 2015. If your department didn’t even bother to file for a grant, send a letter to find out why. Grantwriting is easy work but takes a lot of hours and they may not have had the resources to apply. Or they might oppose the whole idea philosophically. Only way to find out is by asking (and unlike senators and politicians, police take their citizen requests pretty seriously sometimes, particularly when they’re passing up money).

(2) If you think this is important, write your congressional reps/senator and say so. This is a tiny pilot stage project with a laughable budget that is almost surely in the top 100 items to be cut in 2017. We need to defend that budget.

(3) OK, on policies themselves. There are at least two model policy sets out there – David S posted links to both of the ones I’m aware of up above, from major, respectable groups (one the police chief’s union, one from the ACLU). Frankly, I don’t like either one of them. However, unless people organize and state what is actually needed, ESPECIALLY PEOPLE HERE WHO CARE ABOUT THIS STUFF, the debate will come down to whichever organization fields the most popular support staff (= police unions win).

I’ve said before on this forum that while there are many, many issues most of us care about, this is OUR issue more than most others. Actually, it’s our host’s signature issue. If/when he wishes to step in with some insight, I’ll be listening carefully. Meanwhile, we make him look like the thought leader he is by pursuing this issue right here with whatever focus and insight we can muster (I’m hopeful that we can muster quite a bit).

“we need police accountability very badly.”
    Absolutely. And I feel this even though I actually love and trust our police a great deal. We need total government accountability – the media watchdogs have proven to be mercenaries – we must do this ourselves because there is no other way.

The links mentioned:

https://www.aclu.org/files/field_document/aclu_police_body_cameras_model_legislation_may_2015.pdf

http://www.iacp.org/MPBodyWornCameras

mary guercio

Fly, with the cast of characters that Trump is surrounding himself with, do you really believe our police departments are going to feel any sense of urgency to embark on wearing body cams? I don’t. Further, I don’t think our police will have to meet the levels of accountability under T’s admin that they are even now – which is not sufficient. I wish I could track where George Soros invested his donations because this was his pet issue – getting into races at the local and state level that were directly linked to the justice process…D.A.s, Attorney Generals, judges, etc. I know he backed Ogg, but not sure who else.

Flypusher

If enough people at the local level want them, then yes. The people they serve are a lot closer to them than the Federal gov’t.

Flypusher

https://500womenscientists.org/#our-pledge

I hope this grows into something.

mary guercio

So do I, Fly. Women are incredibly hard workers, smart and tough. A friend’s daughter formed a group of women who are trial lawyers and it has really taken off. Maybe this is what will have to happen – organize and support from within since it doesn’t appear to happen as it should in the workplace. I’ve always felt more women in Congress would make that body more deliberative an prone to consensus. We’re a long way from a significant presence there but hope springs eternal!

hoonteo

Hi Mary, we have decided to push through with the forming of a Self Reliant Group here. I shall let you guys know what happens with it. We hope that by returning dignity and purpose to communities they will be less susceptible to the lies of loathsome cankers like T-rump and Farage. It’s also direct democracy at it’s best, to my mind. Wish us luck

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.