"Elite" used to be a good thing

Home Forums Off Topic "Elite" used to be a good thing

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Griff 2 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

Flypusher

I like this little essay on American anti-intellectualism:

Those elites…they think they’re better than us!

“I don’t know” can be fixed. “I don’t want to learn” is a big problem. “You think you’re better than me?” is worse than “strange women, lying around in ponds, distributing swords” as a basis for government.

mary guercio

Guess it’s always true that the view depends upon where you’re standing and what/who you’re looking at….”Class” has reared its head this election and given new impetus to the discussion of elitism.

Griff

Depends on the “form” (or context) of Elitism. On the one hand obviously experts should be consulted on most subjects, especially on the hard-sciences, and it’s too bad we don’t take them more seriously, which is no doubt at least partly due to the rise of right-wing populism. And people with experience governing should usually be expected to be better at it than those who don’t.

That said while the “Crazed Ivory-Tower Intellectual who thinks Citizens should submit themselves to their own highly insulated elitist sub-culture” cliche is perhaps anti-intellectual it is oftentimes very real when it comes more to the Humanities and “Soft-Sciences” and they should be approached with extreme caution. At least until the overt extremists (particularly the radical postmodernists) lose more ground there.

For some MOAR Scott Alexander (been reading a lot from him lately): http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/11/09/looking-a-gift-horse-in-the-mouth/

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.