Polling of the Millennials on race

Home Forums Off Topic Polling of the Millennials on race

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Koctya 10 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Daniel Farina
    Participant

https://genforwardsurvey.com/assets/uploads/2017/10/GenForward-Oct-2017-Final-Report.pdf

Via TheRoot: http://www.theroot.com/surprise-new-survey-reveals-a-wide-gulf-between-white-1820016504

There are some interesting results here, and the relatively rare Asian-American breakout. I also thought the polling questions were sometimes more well-written (or at least less vague) than I’ve seen in other studies.

Some are expected: White Millennials are evenly split on whether Trump is a racist, whereas 75% of other major ethnic groups say he is, and 48% of White Millennials think that discrimination against whites has become “as big a problem” as against “blacks and other minorities.” About a quarter of the other three broken-out ethnic groups agree.

But the shifting alignments between Latino, Asian, and Black Americans are interesting. On most propositions concerning Blacks, Asians poll fairly closely, and closest, e.g. with regard to Black Lives Matter or that discrimination plays a key role in restraining black advancement.

Another interesting statistic is Asians are poll very close to Blacks on the matter whether “special favors” should be used to overcome prejudice, figure 24. The progression is: 40/44/51/59, for black, asian, latino, and white respectively.

The notable exception is Asians are more restrained about the extent of government involvement to help Blacks and Latinos. Not more so than Whites, but relative to the other two groups.

Latinos are much more cool on the propositions concerning Black Americans, but more so than Asians think the government ought to do more about it. For what it’s worth, Blacks think the government ought to help Latino populations, but their solidarity is not repaid in full. See figures 29 and 30.

This poll would suggest a strong Asian-Black chord of sensibilities. Or, perhaps, Asians may see themselves more on the “outside” than Latinos? Who knows. Insert your favorite sociology here.

Finally, I thought Table 5 was interesting. In many regards all groups shared similar top assessments on how to make racial progress, except for one outlier among blacks: “Revolution” (14%). It replaces “Voting in State and Local Elections” as seen in the other groups.

mary guercio

That was an interesting survey; however, I was disappointed in the finding that only 51% of (white) Millennials think Trump is a racist. I am interested in your thoughts about this response and your experience generally as a younger person.

Daniel Farina
    Participant

Also:

Nearly half (48%) of white Millennials
    believe that discrimination against whites has become as big a problem as
    discrimination against Blacks and other minorities, while only about a quarter of
    African Americans, Asian Americans, and Latinxs share this view.

I’m a young person born, raised, and working in the Bay Area, an unusual place. There are some aspects where by both selection and adjustment that whites have made peace with large minority influence.

Consider James Damore, the twerp of the “Google Memo,” which is basically a pseudo-scientific apologia for why there are not more women in technology work. I don’t think people like him are unusual at all: there is no doubt in my mind that there are a number of racists and scientific racists, too, marked by their interest in regression tables and a selective interest in history. The main damage these kind of people are likely to do in the workplace is skepticism about why any unusual minority: namely, female engineers and black and latino people are seen in the workforce. I have had my criticisms of breathless executions of diversity initiative, yet many have decided the issue is principle of egalitarianism itself. The mutated “New Atheist” and “Skeptic” movements are hotbeds for this. Damore is one, of course.

Given the continuous population exchange, the extent to which we can consolidate California’s lessons is limited, but thankfully, it is mostly firmly in place in the private industry and the state, to the frustration of such people. Given the wide draw of industry, one can only expect minimal, if any, deflection from national cross-tabulation of the views of college-educated whites, which are still a lock for Trump overall. That’s not enough to tip the governance of the state, but I suspect affluent, white-dominated industries will be a hostile place for some minorities. Given a large enough workforce, the general rule is to assume roughly half of whites will not give a fair shake initially probably holds up fine.

The result is that, in some ways, California’s governance is stable, as majoritarian abuse is much harder to arrange, as per the study above, very different minority groups have a roughly similar assessment of the sociology of whiteness, and they vote in large enough numbers to check some legislative abuse.

However, interpersonal and private opportunity will be maybe only somewhat better than less diverse parts of the country, particularly in settings where discrimination has an asymmetric cost that empowers the discriminator: consider the difficulty at the outset a black person would face working with the most racist 10% of whites, who, in a ambivalent performance review, could sink their chances of promotion.

Daniel Farina
    Participant

See also: this amazing article on Thiel. https://stanfordpolitics.org/2017/11/27/peter-thiel-cover-story/

Evidence keeps piling up that he’s a horrible person. Or, at least, someone who never really got around to consistently acting as though apartheid was Actually Bad, or that women are Actually Pretty Much The Same. https://medium.com/indian-thoughts/my-conversation-with-peter-thiel-about-apartheid-and-its-aftermath-3fdf4249b08d. It would be just as well that anyone closely connected to him gets a hard, hard look from anyone doing any hiring.

mary guercio

There had to be something rotten at Thiel’s core to support DJT. Goes to prove that intelligence can be wasted on some and that money is no long-term cure for lack of good judgement.

Koctya
    Participant

This clip of James Baldwin should be seen by every millennial just to demonstrate how little some aspects of our story have changed.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.